Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Stars and galaxies

From the times I was a tiddler I had a great interest in stars and galaxies. This admiration actually started when once I had been to a small hamlet where my grandparents stay. At nights we had to doze outside the abode to beat out the stifling heat. There, when I just laid my head on pillow , the sky was directly overhead with stars spread all around far and wide. Inbetween a beautiful, shining, calm, titillating moon appeared to rule all these stars.
I had been to a Planetarium once to view the virtual effect of all the stars and galaxies. There they happened to show the various galaxies identified, our own galaxy The Milky Way and various nearby galaxies. They also showed various constellations identified and the beliefs behind them.
At class 10th, if I have not mistaken, we had a chapter on stars and galaxies. I still cannot block out a sentence from my mind - "There are more stars in the Universe than all the grains of sand on the earth". I had stopped a breath at the sight of that sentence. I really wonder how this could all happen. This also led me to compare and contrast the minuteness of life on earth to the vastness of the Universe.
The sidereal system has had a lasting effect on me and would continue in the future too

2 comments:

Darkness and deep said...

what a coincidence .. us today we were discussing about the pale blue dot (which is our earth from some huge distance).. in a photo taken from voyager1, earth occupies .2 pixel of the photo... and all the great deal the humans make about themselves in earth is just happening in that .2 pixel..!!! might as well check it out in wiki..

Mojo Rising said...

Check out the "Pale Blue Dot" on wikipedia